Saturday 12 November 2011

What shall I do...now they're out for the morning?

What on earth shall I do? I have just waved them off, all three in the car and I have a whole morning all to myself.
Utter, utter bliss.
Shall I indulge in a long deeply scented bath knowing that no one will come to importune me? No one will come rushing in and at the top of their voices demand that I bear witness with: "Mum,Mum Bog Boy/Boy hurt me!" followed by an equally go ferocious denial from the accused. In these circumstances I know that it is my judgement that has been called upon, that I am the sole arbiter of fair play in the household. I am just below God in the hierarchy, although unfortunately for my children I have not been given the wisdom of Solomon.
Shall I lay slug-a-bed and indulge myself with my favourite book? The house will be silent and there will be no need for me to rush to the aid of one or both of my boys before they tear each other limb from limb for usually that is what it sounds like so I have learned to read with one ear attuned for emergencies of one sort or another.
Shall I have time just to be without one of them moseying along down to ask: "What are you doing? Why are you doing that? Can I do that with you?"
So I sit here and I write this and all the time I think: "It's awful quiet." And do you know what? It's not quite right and I just can't seem to relax. So instead of all those things that I thought would be so nice to indulge in I think I had better do things such as cooking and cleaning and tidying up, I need to keep myself busy until they come home and then, only then will I be able to relax and be me, then I will be able to indulge myself!

4 comments:

Cait O'Connor said...

I understand how you feel but do take some time out for YOU as well.

Moors-Mummy said...

I would love a Saturday morning to myself. So I can watch Saturday Kitchen instead of Fireman Sam whilst drinking a coffee that's still hot!

Irene said...

I hope you managed to enjoy yourself. It's hard to figure out what to do when you're all on your own suddenly. I didn't used to get a lot done. I think I was always in a slight state of shock.

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

I perfected the art of the zippy shower , singing very loudly to deter visiting supplicants .
But the loo? For some reason , I'd only have to head in that direction for a child to need an answer NOW!

Go on you know you want to...

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin