Wednesday 2 November 2011

Chicken and Egg mystery


Summer: Eggs Galore Autumn: On Strike!
I’ve just found an egg in the airing cupboard. It slightly threw me to find it there and I thought for a fleeting moment that I had finally gone mad - a tad earlier than I had hoped.
Luckily I remembered, before I got too worried, that I had had a chicken in there yesterday, so it was not terribly surprising to find an egg there today. However, it was quite nice to find the egg whole.
Pretty Poult
I suppose I had better explain before someone calls the Funny Farm. I had put the chicken in a box in the airing cupboard because she looked ill and past experience has taught me that by acting swiftly and warming up the chicken can and does make a huge difference as to whether they survive or not.
Problem is I have no idea how the egg came to be on top of my sheets when the chicken was contained in a box.
I can’t for the life of me see how she got out of the box to lay the egg. It would mean that she opened the top of the box climbed out, laid the egg, then got back into the box and closed it up after herself.
Now that would take brains and much as I have huge respect for chickens, it’s not for nothing that we say that people have ‘chicken brains’ when they do something stupid.
I am at a loss.
I did think the children might have something to do with it but they have not had the opportunity and my husband is away so they are all ruled out.
I thought it could be the cleaner; but I was the one in and out of the airing cupboard yesterday whike we changed the beds and anyway why would she? It is not a normal thing to do, putting eggs in the airing cupboards.
And I couldn’t have done it as none of the chickens laid any eggs* yesterday for me to have carried one about to absent mindedly put it there.
So it has to have been the chicken…but how did it do it?

(*This non-egg laying situation is a slight bone of contention at present; I have warned them that should this situation continue it could lead to STUFFING if they are not very, very careful!)

12 comments:

caughtwriting said...

Funny you should ask: eggs are strange things. I once found one in a trifle I'd made, raw but thankfully intact, inserted into the jelly part of it. I hadn't noticed when I put the topping on it, so I've no idea how it got there. Eggs are strange things, they will turn up in all sorts of unexpected places. Lovely post. Polly

Unknown said...

OMG that made me laugh so much! Perhaps like caughtwriting said, they really do strange things! I'll make sure mine stays in the fridge before it ended up somewhere!

Tattieweasle said...

caughtwriting - OMG that's amazing! Too right they turn up in strange places! Am still wracking my brain on how that hen laid that egg in the airing cupboard...

Tattieweasle said...

AngelaC - beginning to think that eggs have minds of their own. Keep them under lock and key!

Emma @mummymummymum said...

That made me laugh a lot! I might start to hide eggs in strange places for people!

Tattieweasle said...

Emma - I did not do it I promise - or at least I don't think so.....!!!!

Spencer Park said...

Perhaps, you have an escape artist on your hands. I would enter her on Britain's Got Talent!

Tattieweasle said...

Spencer Park - OOOhhh a Paul Daniels chicken!

Von said...

That old chicken and egg question, it just never goes away does it?

Rob-bear said...

An eggseptional story. But I'm as puzzled as you as to the source of said egg.

Actually, delightful story. Thanks for the entertainment.

The mum of all trades said...

This made me laugh! Maybe its following you

Tattieweasle said...

Von/Rob Bear - Eggsactly! And I think I have the answer! When a hen lays an egg it is soft and only hardens on contact with the air creating the hard shell. This is what I think happened. The box the chicken was in had a hole in the bottom. As I lifted it up to take the chicken out she laid her egg and it fell through the hole while soft before hardening and I never noticed until I went back to the airing cupboard.
The Mum of All Trades - oooh I hope not this place is spooky enough at present without eggs following me about. Had togive some ghjosts a good talking to the other day for scaring a guest - I kid you not!

Go on you know you want to...

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin