Friday 18 November 2011

Fingers Friday


BBC Good Food Pizza Florentine
We all have our little traditions, whether they are personal or even family ones. In this household after an extremely busy and trying week we have Fingers Friday.
The last meal of the working week is what I would call a blessing for it is eaten with our fingers and if I think I can get away with it no plates or glasses either to wash up.
It is not the most nutritious meal of the week in fact I would say it has almost no nutrients in it at all but boy! Oh boy! is it delicious; finger lickin’ good.
I don’t drop standards too much so it is not a ready-made product nor is it a take-away though, of course, you can do those if you so wish and I admit, that I have succumbed in the past, when I have been seriously pushed.
No the last meal of a Friday is home-made Pizza eaten in front of the box and washed down with something naughty such as a cider for me and, shock horror, fizzy drinks for the boys.
It’s a meal we love to make and spend hours mulling over. Will German Salami be nicer than Frankfurter sausages and do either go with mango? Should one use goat’s cheese, cheddar, mozzarella and brie on the same base or should one stick to one cheese only.
It doesn’t matter as we all have our own. Although with that in mind you inevitably have to share as you get great cries and exclamations when everybody looks at your offering and decides that it looks much better than theirs
 “What does yours taste like?
“Yours looks better than mine.”
“I don’t like Gherkins on this!”
“I wanted pineapple not grapes!”
In the end we all land up sharing. However, being generous I give you a top tip if you want to eat your own Pizza in peace opt for the spinach and Florentine egg –it looks so unappetising that my boys refuse to even contemplate it.

For a real fab Pizza Florentine  check out the BBC Good Food site here! Or just follow this:

Ingredients:
1x Pizza base ( or make your own like me in the bread maker)

For Sauce
1x 400ml tin chopped tomatoes
Clove of garlic
Finely chopped onions
Squirt of Sundried tomato paste
1 tsp of sugar
Salt 
Pepper
Handful of herbs de Provence or herbs to your liking

For Topping
Couple of handfuls of fresh spinach (or frozen)
Nutmeg
Butter
Salt
Eggs

To make sauce:
Chop and sauté onions and garlic till lightly golden and soft
Add tomatoes
Season
Add sundried tomato paste
Add herbs
Simmer until nicely thick. 

Florentine Topping
Wilt spinach with butter and nutmeg to taste do not overcook or it tastes yucky

Smear pizza sauce onto base. Pop into oven.
Drain spinach of all fluid extremely important or else you get a soggy pizza.
Add spinach topping and hollow out dips for egg. Crack eggs into dip and pop back in oven for about 4 - 6 minutes until the eggs are backed.
I like to leave my yolks runny but only if I am eating with a knife and fork. It is NOT a good idea to eat runny yolks in front of the TV as you tend to get it all over your front...
Enjoy!


4 comments:

Fiona @nlpmum said...

I often put an egg on my pizza's - hubby thinks it's disgusting. I'm tempted to do Fish and Chips outa the paper tonight ;-) F

Expat mum said...

Oooh, my fave! I was looking at that photo thinking, "Hope there's a recipe coming". Thanks. I also have a new bread machine which I am still playing around with. Will try the pizza dough too.

Cait O'Connor said...

Brilliant idea of yours. I may suggest it to my daughter for her brood of girls to do. We have a bread machine too......

Irene said...

There's nothing as good as homemade pizza, especially when the crust is homemade too. I like the fact that you made it in your bread maker. That means you've got real pizza dough. XOX

Go on you know you want to...

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin