Thursday 17 November 2011

Blogging Anonymously

Most of us blog anonymously.
We have names or handles which hide us from view or at least muddy the waters a bit and in so doing it gives us a freedom that we don't always enjoy. It allows us to say things and write things that perhaps we wouldn't be able to do if people knew who we really are. It also allows us to be judged on our actions not on what we look like or how we speak.
And it is open to abuse.
Such is the price of freedom.
I wouldn't have it any other way believe me I value my freedom.
So when I get a horrid comment from an anonymous blogger I have to remember it is but a small price. We can all get righteously indignant and demand that something is done but as long as no one is physically hurt or hounded or incited to do violence to others, the odd nasty comment should be seen as a medal of honour and worn proudly in remembrance of the freedoms we all share.
Don't get me wrong it is a fine line and each individual will have to judge the problem in their own way and act accordingly. I decided not to allow this particular comment to be available to all because it was nasty and was meant to cause harm to a vulnerable group in society. That was my call to make.
Much of the time those anonymous bloggers who deliberately go out to hurt, humiliate or to just poisonously rant make themselves look idiotic and frequently quite pitiful. We do not need to draw further attention to them by giving them more airspace by getting upset on twitter or other forums thus playing into their hands.
Much of the time we can just skim over and carry on as if they did not exist.
They long to enter into a "conversation" so deny them the openings. Frustrate their pretestations by ignoring them.Remove the oxygen of self publicity by pressing the delete button.
And occasionally leave their comments so people can see how truly silly they are.

12 comments:

san said...

Great attitude. Well done for rising above the trolls!

Tattieweasle said...

Sandy - Thank you! Trolls are a nightmare and are hurtful. But there's no point acknowledging them all it does is lead to frustration and pain.

mrsnesbitt said...

Tattie - they have not only let themselves down, their families down, their country down, the world down, the UNIVERSE down. Silly silly people. They should spend some time in the thinking corner and sort out themselves! (Wagging finger here and tut tutting)
Great attitude!!!
Dxxxxxxxxxx

Mammasaurus said...

Super attitude , I recently had the same thing happen and wish I had simply deleted straight away in hindsight. I know now! x

Spencer Park said...

I was sent an email from a fellow blogger suggesting, in no uncertain terms, that I should reconsider my blog material.

It did worry me for a while - but I think that was because it came on top of some other bad news.

Love your attitude - as always!

Anonymous said...

You're absolutely right. It's much more effective to just remove the comment and feel quietly smug that they will not be getting the attention they crave. I've only done it once but that person has never commented which is the outcome I'd prefer.

Wisewebwoman said...

Oh those trolls, never with blogs of their own, right?
Never feed them is my motto.
Great post!
XO
WWW

Potty Mummy said...

Wise words indeed Tatty. Should be on some kind of noticeboard for new bloggers, I think!

Cait O'Connor said...

You are so right Tattie.

Abi said...

I've always felt that if you can hide behind a word as small as 'anonymous' then you're probably something of a waste of skin anyway...

Irene said...

Anonymously writing mean comments is such a cowardly thing to do. I always wonder about the people who do it. They must have a very bad mean streak, yet not have the guts to admit to it. You did well to delete it and not wasting time on it. XOX

Von said...

So right.As you know I often leave mine because they are such rich stuff to blog about on occasions.Real nastiness is a different kettle of fish.

Go on you know you want to...

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin