Wednesday 10 October 2012

Older, wiser, more mature...

Life should be like a melting ice cream
Older wiser, more mature, glamorous, sophisticated, totally in control...come off it who do you think you are kidding!?
A whole year older and I am no more of anything than I have ever been.
I keep thinking that when I am grown up, I am going to emerge overnight into this coolly efficient glamorous but very approachable with a great sense of humour, totally in control able-to-turn-her-hand-to-anything-practical but still ethereal and intriguing zen-like earth mother goddess.
But I am 46
I fear I am running out of time to be all that and perhaps I am not so dumb as to think it could ever happen - I'm just not that type of girl.
I'm more of your heck-that's-a-good-idea-well-why-not-give-it-a-go-perhaps-that-wasn't-such-a-good-idea -bugger-it's-gone-tits-up-let-me-have-a-cry-in-my-pillow-how-do-I-get-myself-out-of-this-mess-I'll-wing-it-and-if-I-pretend-it-didn't-happen-it-then-perhaps-no-one-else-will-notice-and-I-didn't-really-do-it-anyway-sort-of-person...
It works for me, its a tried and tested method of getting through life lightly - not tidily mind.
A tidy life would be like an ice cream that didn't melt in the sunshine, while eminently practical and indeed often wished for, not nearly so much fun and hardly memorable at all!
So here I sit at newly 46 and all I can come up with is that my life is like a melting ice cream - that's really going to go down in family folk lore isn't it!


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a completely brilliantly written post - just love it!! A melting ice-cream kind of life sounds much more fun and interesting than a zen-like existence - I'd rather be catching droplets of ice-cream with my tongue than sitting in the lotus position dreaming of it...

Cait O'Connor said...

Many happy returns Tattie.

Lou said...

Personally, I like you just the way you are. xx

Rob-bear said...

Oh, happy 46th! Smashing, really.

I survived 46 and 64, and lived to tell the tale. I'm confident you'll do just fine. Especially as the half-Welsh you! Shw mae, even.

Wally B said...

I much prefer the you than the make believe you. Happy Birthday Tattie

Potty Mummy said...

Happy birthday, in any case! x

Aly said...

Did you get cake? Happy birthday :D

Go on you know you want to...

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin