Monday 1 October 2012

31 Days To Get A Grip



I’ve got 31 days to get a grip, sort everything out get organised once and for all, because if, after these 31 days are up, I am not organised I might as well just give up and admit it: I will NEVER be organised.
Why only 31 days? Well we’ve all got to have deadlines and because October is my birth month it seemed like a good idea at the time. This October I will be 46.
There I have said it.
FORTY SIX.
No longer in the first bloom of youth.
I can’t deny it I am a grown up and probably closer to death than I will ever be again to my birth. It is time to get things organised and if I can get my 46 year old life sorted at the same time then that will be no bad thing.
I need to get my head round a few problems
So I will sort out the easiest one first - all that paperwork.
Oh God there is SO much of it.
Bills and invoices, advice notices and iddy biddy bits of paper all over the place. Stuffed in draws hastily packed in boxes, ‘filed’ or not as the case maybe and the majority I bet not even important but I won’t know that until I have sorted it all out.
I have a fear of losing important things and so rarely throw anything out and because I put things back in random places I lose bits of things then panic when I find the other bit that I must keep it because I don’t know if I chucked the other bit out.
I suspect there are bits of things awaiting their other bits in disparate places all over my home and as you know it is rather large.
How did I get into this mess? Well I first joined it with someone else’s mess and they left it to me to sort out, only thing is I don’t know, without their help, what I should or should not keep. We are talking about bits of paper that go back 25 years! The countless bits of paper guarantees for all those electrical items which you may or may not still own that’s if they are not broke beyond all repair,
Do we really need to keep them all ?
I know there are the bits and pieces one keeps for sentimental reasons like the dossier you have on the buying of your first flat, car, garden shed but for some people sentiment is a load of tosh for others it is social history in the making.
Somehow I need to strike a balance between interesting and important. There’s no point diving through another's paperwork without at least finding some secrets or insights…
Do you think I’ll make it or am I doomed to a disorganised life?

5 comments:

Expat mum said...

You need to cut the whole job down into bite-size chunks and then leap on it with purpose!
And BTW, why are you keeping a "dossier" on the buying of your first flat? Do you show it to people? Is it to pass on to the buys, and if so, are you sure they aren't going to throw it out as soon as they can? If the answer to any of these questions is "No I'm not sure" then I think you need to whittle down the dossier. Tough love my friend.

Rob-bear said...

First, organization is seriously over-rated, m'love. Unless you use an eclectic form of organization, which is just fine. (I think that's what you're doing, currently.)

If you're going truly and truly organize, you need Jane Alexander's Spirit of the Home. That's if you're going to do the whole bit. Because organization can become that infectious. The starting place might be Expat mum's list of suggestions — pretty much the same as Jane's

Hope you have a wonderful day.

P.S.: I have survived both 46 and 64. They're just numbers. Your real age is how old you feel.

One afterthought. I have no idea of how to organize a Wicked Whippet.

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

Oh Lord ! Good luck ...
I use the Shove It All In A Plastic Bag Every New Year method . Would be more useful if I ever went through them afterwards .

Exmoorjane said...

Hey, you're still a baby!
Oh wow, just seen Bear's comment. :) But really, you don't need the book - just put on VERY LOUD MUSIC...(that is important) and just blitz it...well, that's what I do... Other people do it sensibly one drawer at a time but sriously, I can't be arsed to prolong teh agony! xxxxxx

Tattieweasle said...

Expat Mum - I don't like it but you are right!
Rob-bear - bnot sure my eclectic form of organisisation is working I keep losing stuff! And as for the wicked Whippet..I can but try!
SmitoniusAndSonata - I coudl do that but then I'd panic...did it once to charlies shirts and they landed up on teh bonfire...
Exmoorjane - VERY VERY LOUD MUSIC!!!!!!!

Go on you know you want to...

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin