Wednesday 2 May 2012

Don't judge a book by it's cover....


Sometimes it seems that it is just Sex Sex Sex I can’t seem to get away from it.
Not even at Book Club that solid staple of the really not wanting to be middle aged Middle England housewives.
But it has wormed its way in there in the form of “50 Shadesof Grey”. Now I have not read the book but already it has that giddy teenage reputation among the ladies of the Suffolk branch of the Dead Tree Society that was once held  so dear by the likes of Shirley Conran and Judith Kranz with Lace and Princess Daisy during the early 1980s.
I blame it on Kindle.
Who knows but ourselves what we are reading and oh how demure we can look with the ubiquitous little machine held primly up to our noses.
Now no one can peer imperiously over their glasses an raise an eyebrow at our choice of reading matter for there are no covers to give away our secrets though possibly an enigmatic smile will say more powerfully what has captured our imaginations in far more detail than a mere title emblazoned on the spine of a book.
There is an elevated feeling of liberation knowing that no one knows what you are reading and that they can only guess and never judge unless you give them leave by divulging your secrets.
It makes me feel quite giddy but then I come back down to earth with a bump – I don’t actually have a Kindle and will have to hope that the cover of this well hyped book is very discreet or I’ll just have to do what I did as a teenager – and get a bigger book to hide it!

5 comments:

Rob-bear said...

Or hide it inside a recent copy of The Church Times. That way, you will be doubly intriguing. Even if you do not want to draw attention to yourself.

Tattieweasle said...

Rob-Bear - an inspired idea!

LeeAnn at Mrs Black's said...

ha ha! This made me smile! Good luck with your reading matter.

Tattieweasle said...

Minerva - I think my smiles are of the nervous kind looks like I'm having to go to the Library to get it out; the shame!

Ladybird World Mother said...

!!! This made me giggle... haven't got a kindle either, but WOULDNT it be useful with 'those' sort of books. xx

Go on you know you want to...

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin