Wednesday 23 March 2011

Bringing up boys – why do they do the things you’ve just asked them not to?


What IS it with boys? And is it only boys that do this but when you ask them NOT to do something they immediately go and do it?
Bog Boy was playing outside with his teddies Jelly and Puppy (a cat and a dog) and he was throwing them high in the air.
Bog Boy: Look Mum I can throw Jelly and Puppy really high!
Me: Don’t throw them too high or they’ll get stuck on the roof.
Bog Boy: Look Mum they go higher
Me: Bog Boy move away from the roof they’ll get stuck
Bog Boy: It’s alright Mum I can catch them
I see Puppy go up and there’s a long wait, I do not see her come down.
Bog Boy: Muuummmm Puppy’s stuck on the roof!
I shoot outside and there is Puppy half way up the lower part of our roof about 15 feet up.
Bog Boy: Get her down Mum! Get her down. I want my Puppy!
I ascertain the problem and with the judicious use of a chair and broom I get Puppy down back to a relieved Bog Boy. He hugs her tightly.
Me: Now, off you go and don’t do it again….
Within seconds of me saying this Jelly has gone flying right back onto the roof only this time the process was not as straight forward and demands the calling out the big boys, J and Roger, a roof ladder, a step ladder as well as a broom…
I decided that affirmative action was required:
Me: Do it again Bog Boy and I’ll be having Jelly on toast for my breakfast followed by poached Puppy.
I think he got the picture.

10 comments:

Trish said...

Ah that's the ticket - scare them witless with open threats! I'm a master (mistress?) of that!

Dorset Dispatches said...

I've virtually given up telling my boys not to do something - it is always guaranteed to ensure that said thing that I don't want to happen will if I do!

Jen Walshaw said...

Ah yes poached puppy, a very fine dining experiance.

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

Well , if you're going to come up with such entertaining possible scenarios , what's a chap to do ?
Though I do remember little girls occasionally rising to the challenge of "Don't ...." , too .

Aly said...

See my son wouldn't do that but my girls would particularly my 5 year old.She has to be told 10 times to do or not to do something.

CherishedByMe said...

They just have to do it to prove that yes you are in fact right mum!
Mine is "someone will get hurt" they always do but never listen...grrr. ;0S

Von said...

Bribery works too!

mrsnesbitt said...

That's the ticket! lol!

Rob-bear said...

Me: Do it again Bog Boy and I’ll be having Jelly on toast for my breakfast followed by poached Puppy.

Brilliant line, TW!

But I'm not sure how they would taste.

Wally B said...

Legend Jr has developed the same annoying habit of ignoring everything I say. He models his response (or lack of it) on his Mom. Even if circumstances prove me right, I'm still wrong

Go on you know you want to...

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin