Wednesday 20 October 2010

The Big Spending Review

So there you have it cuts all round and unlike the French I doubt we'll really squeak for the nature of the average Brit is to grin and bear it especially if we think that probably here's a hint of truth in all the talk.
For without doubt someone somewhere along the line has been a bit flash with the cash. If we look at our own personal lives I'd say a lot of us have been tempted and in many cases have indeed splashed out on stuff that is not strictly necessesary and the problem is we've got used to being a bit loose and a bit off hand about it and basically irresponsible.
There's no point trying to pin the blame on someone else and say: "Oh but they made me do it by making it too easy to borrow etc". You really do have to wise up in this world; nothing is for free however much we'd like it to be. I know that sounds harsh but I've been there, borrowing cash for what I don't really know just living it up  and stuff and getting myself into trouble. Basically I was asset rich and cash poor so tried to borrow myself out of a hole, when what I should have done was radically changed the way I lived and got rid of some of the assets like my car when I lived in London, perhaps not gone on holiday when I really could not afford to and certainly not gone out clothes shopping etc!
It was acutely embarrassing and indeed humiliating to be bailed out by my boyfriend when he became my fiance and I have been paying for it ever since. I am known as fiscally irresponsible and have to put up with sarcastic comments about my lack of economic nouse - still going strong 11 years on. I am much wiser down the line and realise I was indeed fortunate ( as I am reminded every other week) but oh how I wish I had been taught how to be savvy with my money all those years ago...
It's not a good allegory but one that helps me make sense of all that is going on around. We cannot rely on the State to sort things out in fact we have to fix our own mess too. I suspect the less we rely on the State the better things will be I just hope that the lesson won't be as long or as harsh a one as I have had to learn these last 11 years...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you know, I quite agree. I know there will be a lot of carping about these cuts and sure, some will hurt. But have you seen ho wmuch debt we are collectively in??!! Something's got to be done and it better than burying our collective heads in the sand!

Lou Archer said...

I've walked in your shoes (Russell and Bromley ones actually..) and occasionally hubby reminds me that I was slightly reckless before we merged accounts....

We've got to get more fugal, grow more veg. I'm trying hard but I know I could do better.

Thanks for your comments on my blog re my indepth analysis of the defence cuts.....(snigger, snigger)

Ladybird World Mother said...

Hear, hear, Tattie. I just cant believe how everyone is complaining. There has been too much money thrown about and now we need to literally spend less until we have more. xx

Spencer Park said...

My grandfather was from Yorkshire and taught me that, "you don't get ought for nought unless you do for yourself."

Tattieweasle said...

Mud - It's too scary for words...
Lou - It's teh could do better bit I worry about and tha fact that I have no clue really where to begin, so I suppose like the powers that be the easiest place and work from there...
Ladybird World Mother - we have been throwing it about it's very difficult to spend less but I think we'll have to bite the bullet...
Spencer Park - I always knew wise men came from Yorkshire!

Go on you know you want to...

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin