Tuesday 17 August 2010

Schadenfreude terrier style...

Don't you believe that butter wouldn't melt in his mouth!
Never, ever think you've got your terrier taped, even if he is 11 years old. And never, ever even think that perhaps your terrier is better behaved than anyone else's.
Today, minding my own business or not as the case maybe, I perused the blogosphere and came across The Miracle courtesy of Asbo Jack, Exmoor Jane's wonderful JRT doing exactly what JRTs are supoposed to do - surprise you, lull you into a false sense of security and then do exactly what it is they've been wanting to do all day - pick a fight with somone larger than they are. Classic small dog syndrome. I laughed safe in the knowlegde that that sort of thing doesn't happen to me anymore on the basis that the JRT ( Jack Russel Terrier) in our house is permanently grounded and only taken on walks or runs when there is little chance of him meeting anyone at all let alone another dog. This can be facilitated by either walking said dog in the middle of the night or else at 5am in the morning.
Back to today and my slighly, dare I say it superior feeling about my JRT Tigger. No that sort of thing would never happen to me...but pride does come before fall and I have fallen hard. Just as I was writing my witty little comment ( I can dream people, I can dream and I can also expand the truth a little too) I heard a cacophony of barking, the postman had arrived. Every day we go through the same ritual. Post van drives up drive, Tigger goes bonkers and looks a little like Krull as he squashes his head against the kitchen window trying to bite the poor postman. We all laugh and indulge his little whims safe in the knowledge that he cannot get out. Sometimes I have noted the postman teases the dog a bit by deliberatley slowing his pace and waving the post about - bad move. Tigger has a long and ferocious memory even if he cannot see all that well anymore.
Everything should have been all right, the postman should have slotted post through the door into the wire cage and returned to the van, got in and driven away.
BUT...
But today, Bog Boy decided he'd help Mummy who was workign upstairs. He opened the door...
Ohmygodheopenedthedoor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tigger got out! I only saw it from the corner of my eye as my office window overlooks the back door. There was a horrendous barking and growling. The whippets took up the challenge and shot downstairs too woofing, I shot after them, didn't bother to put on shoes. There was shouting asnd growling and what seemed to my ears like somthing being dragged over the gravel - Oh please God! NO!! Not the Postman!!!
I bolted out the door slamming it shut on three demented whippets who then bounced up and down barking more ferociously than ever trying to get a better look out the glass panels on the back door.
It was a horrible sight, schadenfreude always is, with the Postman ineffectually batting at the terrier who kept leaping up at him trying to get a better purchase on the his shorts. I saw the dog make contact and the postman whizz him round all four feet off the ground. As he turned I lunged at the dog, grabbing him and in the process nearly pulling the poor Postman's shorts off. I have never had to apologise more profusley and so fast. Mortification was NOT the word. I HATE Jack Russels, I really do!
Needless to say Tigger went back into the house well satisfied with the day's work while Bog Boy round eyed handed me today's post. "Can we do that again tomorrow?"

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Small dogs: huge character! Poor postman....

Abby said...

At least dogs are sort of supposed to do that - our grumpy old pusscat used to hide under the hazel tree half way down the drive and ambush the post lady's ankles on a regular basis. Got to the point where she started wearing army boots and carrying a bottle of water on her rounds, just for him...

Pondside said...

You may be lucky to get mail delivery tomorrow! That sort of thing brings a visit from the inspector and the threat of no delivery unless the dog is confined.
Don't you wish you had the whole thing on video?

Tattieweasle said...

Mud - I do pity our poor postman luckily for us he's got a sense of humour!
Abby - Marvellous cat and ingenious postwoman...
Pondside - ohh I do wish it could be captured like that especially the dog being swung round, looking back it was funny and the Postman thought so too but at the time I think my language had a lot to be desired so the video would havwe to be done as a silent movie!

Anonymous said...

Hilarious! Who'd be a postman? Ours always has a handful of dog biscuits to lob at them in case they one day decide to leap over the gate!

Tattieweasle said...

muummmmeeeeee - not for all the world would I be a postman! Personally I feel they should all be given the George Cross...

Cait O'Connor said...

We have a post box on the gate so postie doesn't have to get past the dogs; my collie can be 'unpredictable' so I know how you feel.

Dorset Dispatches said...

Poor postie! Glad he did manage to keep his shorts on though!

All the breeds have their little foibles... speaking as the person who had to drag the Golden Retriever out of yet ANOTHER picnic that wasn't ours at the weekend. Do they ever grow up?

Mother Hen said...

Hey Tattie, glad to read that things have grounded for you in your world, especially with husband and boys.

I am very much hoping that the new edition to our pack, Acadia- will take no interest in our postman.

I can hope can't I

Tattieweasle said...

Cait - All I can say is thank heavens my chickens don't get in on the act!!!
Pantswithnames - Retrievers and Labradors both however whippets are just as bad but they just tend to mug people. I'm not sure which is worse though!!!!
Mother Hen - I'd introduce Arcadia so that she's on friendly terms rather than being interested in her territorial rights! She looks adorable!

CAMILLA said...

Your Tigger Terrier looks sooo much like my Daisy, Tattie.

Yep, same in this household too with JRT, luckily though has not got to Mr Posty yet..!

Have put up a mailbox to front of cottage a few years ago, had to, my two little Yorkies waited with baited breath from the mail to slip through the hallway, then it was all torn to pieces, good no bills.!

Hope Mummy Whippet and her Pups are doing well Tattie.

xx

Tattieweasle said...

Camilla - Shredded Post and it's always the nice letters that get it never the bills or even the junk mail!

Go on you know you want to...

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin