Wednesday 19 May 2010

Ah Youth!

Today was full of pent up excitment and barely able to surpress itself energy. Bog Boy was positiverly bouncing in his eagerness to get up and dressed; for today, today he was going to SCHOOL!
Everything had to be just so, the shoes had to be put on tight, the right shorts had to be put on and the top changed three times at least and of course he had to make sure his bedroom was absolutley perfectly tidy before bombing down to breakfast 15 minutes after everyone else.
Porridge was demanded and honey on toast, though he could barely sit still to eat either.he was brimming with questions and could barely contain himself.
Had I got all his things?
Did he need to take Jelly and Puppy?
Had I got is school bag?
When were we going?
How long did five minutes take?
Had I remembered his boots?
Then...
Hurry up Mummy! We have to go!
Come on Boy, stop being slow.
Drive faster, drive faster!
Quick, Mum Mum, quick! There's Holly!
And the car door is opened and off he's running down the path that leads to the school door fast enough to trip but he doesn't.
His brother gets sedately out of the car all his things with him. Neat and calm. The Boy takes my hand and squeezes it and with all the world weariness that a seven year old can muster, he looks up at me and says:
I remember being like that!

7 comments:

Jen Walshaw said...

How wonderful. Maxi runs in each day like that still and I am hoping september brings the same for Mini. He does leg it in to preschool. Oh to be jaded at 7!

Anonymous said...

Oh that is just so lovely! I can picture that wise old expression on a cute little face...

Anonymous said...

That's such a lovely thought, imagining that freshness tearing off to find a future. And then there's the laid back approach!

CJ xx

Tattieweasle said...

TheMadHouse - I think The Boy was feels he has to be responsible for his little brother..it is sweet!
Muummmmeeeeee - I love the way The Boy sides with me being so very grown up!
CJ - I love that "tearing off to find a future" it really does sum it up beautifully!

Expat mum said...

Awww. Lovely! Walking my (almost) 7 year old to school this morning, he suddenly detached himself from me, stuffed both hands in his sweat shirt pockets and said, "This is how 7 year old's walk to school mom." (Sob.)

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

World-weary already ! How satisfying to be the oldest .

Lou Archer said...

Will he look at you tomorrow aghast and say 'What do you mean I have to go again and again and again?.........'

Lovely post
Lou
XX

Go on you know you want to...

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin