Friday 8 January 2010

At home in the snow....

As I type the snow is beginning to fall again. We haven't had it bad here and it is only a few inches as yet. I secretly want it to be much deeper as do the children but I don't think my chickens do!


They are very unhappy about it and I have to go out three times a day to check on their water and even have to bring it inside at night to stop it freezing.


I have a three day old chick as well born to a particlularly silly hen called Stoopid2. I keep expecting to find it dead but so far every morning I see it. I cross fingers it survives.


The moat is frozen but I dare not try it for strength yet. The Boys are desperate to ice skate and having heard tales from Roger are up for a dash across it. I have told Roger off roundly now every time I take the children out I have to be like  hawk in case they spirit themselves off and have a go! A few Rookyard inmates have ventured forth albeit they are duck and chickens and I must admit it is funny to watch.

Have to brave the ciold in half an hour to get everyone tucked up and warm for the night. Even the ferrets as Ferry can't make it to look after them. They have fresh water and the remains of a rabbit to feast upon for the moment. I fear I will have to give them stew shortly as it is the only meat I have in the house. Not sure I want to share it with a load of ferrets perhaps they'll opt for cat food instead?

5 comments:

Maggie Christie said...

Our poor hens have been standing on one leg wondering what all the white stuff is. Both Stoopid I think! I hope the chick survives too. Fingers crossed. Good luck with the moat skating - that sounds like fun!

blackbird said...

I'm thinking of you all in the deep freeze over there. I'm not sure how you test the ice for moat skating- who goes first? Maybe a strong rope tied to a tree close by would be a good idea.

Good luck with the chick- maybe her mother will keep her under her wing. When I had my chickens, I would put out inches of hay over the snow and ice to protect their feet. But, I remember the frequent trips out to change the water.

Ladybird World Mother said...

Our poor girls (the chickens) are Not Happy with all this snow.. they dont like to walk on it!! Have had to clear a little bit but the ground is so damned hard that it is almost impossible... and as for the rabbit... amazing how she loves the snow... sits out in it and thinks about carrots or something. She roams free with the chickens inside their (fox free) run. Hope you get your deep snow soon... it is a lot of fun, although am getting a tad fed up with all the food I have to cook with everyone being at home and unable to get to school! xx

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

Oh yes, our chickens hate it too! They have had a couple of days of not even coming out of the house. I would be so tempted by the moat too. Mind you we have quite deep snow here and I am beginning to find life a bit hard work!

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

A neighbour went through the ice the other day ..... he doesn't recommend it .I'm just sliding all over the icy streets instead .No danger of wet feet .
As for giving the ferrets your stew ? Pah !! It's every ferret for himself at the moment . You'll have to tell them it's Jamie Oliver cat food .

Go on you know you want to...

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin