Tuesday 3 March 2009

In which I realise that I am not the only love in his life…

Hussy!
Harpy!
Jezebel!
Scarlet Woman!
I am incensed. I am shocked to the core and I don’t think I will ever recover. And frankly the woman in question is old enough to be his mother – OK so she must have only been 15 at the time but it still hurts.
This does not bode well for the future does it?
The Boy has informed me this morning that he is in love with his teacher. This is the first time he has ever been in love with a woman and I don’t feel desperately comfortable with it.
I am not a jealous type, or at least I don’t think so. In fact I am quite happy for him to have a girlfriend. He’s been a kissing and a cuddling J for the best part of nine months now though I am informed they have been told at school: “Not kiss on the lips!” To which, when they tell me this, there follows paroxysms of giggles so that I can only surmise the order is totally ignored at every given opportunity.
Bearing this in mind I have said nothing to The Boy about preferring him to not love his teacher. I merely asked in a totally honest and upfront way why he loved her so much.
Him: Cos’ she’s so beautiful.
Right, the cheeky little siren…
Me: Any thing in particular that’s beautiful? Her eyes perhaps?
I’ll scratch them out
Him: She’s got lovely hair
I’ll give her hair…
Him: And she has a lovely smile
Me: It would be nice if it’s more than just looks you know, as we get older our looks tend to go away
There is silence from the back of the car.
Him: Mummy are you sad?
Me: No Darling. Why?
Him: ‘Cos your looks have gone…
Hoisted again!

14 comments:

menopausaloldbag (MOB) said...

The thing is we often base our first love upon a parent. So if she is beautiful, bountiful and incredible then at least subconsciously they are qualities based on what his mammy has and what he loves best! She's an 'also-ran'! Smile, you're his first real love.....

Lanny said...

Ahhh I had all girls I was spared the pain. That was Dirt's lot, he headed it off by driving around and point out all the reasons each individual they saw was someone to steer clear of. Fortunately as they came of age, they must have found one type that Dirt hadn't warned them of.

pinkfairygran said...

Out of the mouths of babes.... I agree with MOB that he is using you as a benchmark to which all others must aspire. Ah, if it only lasted!!!!

Chris Stovell said...

Oh, bless him!

Suffolkmum said...

The hussy. Make a complaint. Seriously, I agree with the others - he clearly has a penchant for beautiful women who remind him of Mummy ...

Milla said...

makes it all so worthwhile doesn't it, TW. Fret not, he'll be through all the sluts and return to you. F10 writes me the most beautiful heart rending stuff about his love for me, a burden that's quite hard to bear really. I mean, imagine how difficult it IS being THIS lovely, sigh.

Faith said...

I instantly thought what Lanny said - thank goodness I had girls. I wouldve hated my little boy being in love with the teacher. Hope he gets a gruesome old one next year eh?

Expat mum said...

Oooh what a petard! A bit like when my little guy asked me if my mother was my sister! I decided not to ask the question that was dangling on my lips!

Norma Murray said...

That last comment, Aaagh! how I sympathise. My son, at the age of five, stroked my face, his own full of concern and asked me sadly,
"Mummy, do your wrinkles hurt."

Anonymous said...

When I was a reception teacher, a little boy expressed constant regret that I didn't have "long red nails". His mother said he drew me at home with long red talons. Both she and I were nail-biters with the occassional foray into the world of Cutex Clear.To this day I hope he's happy, in love, and married to the manicurist of his dreams.

Pondside said...

You'll survive, Tattie. He'll return to you just before he brings home The One. Then it really starts, and it's for good. Just be glad that you're the benchmark!

Iota said...

"hoisted" - marvellous!

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

Ah yes, I remember this. Now my son is just married and you have to hope that somehow you have taught them how to love and you have to let them be to do so.
Hard and easy at the same time!
I love his last line. The boy will go far.

Kitty said...

Oh, bless him, first love.
But boys love their mummies best, regardless of wrinkles and grey hairs and leg hair and a moustache - I know this because he points out all my charming little quirks, and then kisses me.

Go on you know you want to...

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin