Monday 1 December 2008

Milestones

Tonight has been a night of milestones.
Firstly, The Littlest - all blond hair, big blue eyes and the cheekiest smile on the planet - did something other than twist me round his little finger. He found his own name tag among the other tags velcroed on the wall at Nursery.
OK. I know, but I didn’t say these were earth-shattering milestones! Suddenly I realised that: "Heck he’s learning." “I, Baby”, as he calls himself, especially to wind up his elder brother, is not quite as much of a baby anymore.
I should say that on my way home I had time to cherish that moment in the Nursery, but “I Baby” wound up his brother so much in the car that barely five minutes into the journey I had banned them both from watching CBeebies and had sent them straight to bed with no supper.
From the gloomy depths of the back seat came:
“I sad.”
Then from The Boy, my eldest:
“Would you like a huggies?”
The Littlest: “Want huggies - Mumum want huggies.”
Me: “Darling I can’t. Mummy’s driving.” – though if I could I’d have immediately stopped and held him tight in a trice. Why does it always seem as if I’m saying no? – “Don’t be sad little one.”
The Boy: “I’ll give you a huggies.”
Which he did and then came the second milestone.
The Boy: “Shall I tell you a joke?”
Now, I love my boys to distraction and will indulge them all I can, but however much I gloss it, my eldest’s jokes to date have been, well... NOT jokes. If you were polite then perhaps surreal jokes…but not ones I’d say that have any cohesion, or in fact any sense and to be frank, I have yet to find the humour in many. Most of this is down to the fact that my Darling Boy has Absence Seizures, a form of Epilepsy, which leaves his concentration a lot to be desired. I kid you not he frequently misses the punchline - so being an inventive little chap comes up with his own. I'll say this 10 out of 10 for effort but content well...
For example: Why did the dinosaur cross the road? I don’t know why did the dinosaur cross the road? It was dead/pink/flying etc I think you get the idea. He’s been bringing out these jokes for about two years now and the "Doctor! Doctor!" ones are excruciating, while the "Knock! Knock!" ones are totally incomprehensible. And for The Love of God, don’t get me on the subject of his toilet humour! But tonight, tonight I heard:
“Why do cows lie down together?”
Me, with not a little amount of trepidation: “I don’t know darling, why do cows lie down together?”
The Boy: “Because they like to lie next to each udder!”
I was a bit stunned and had to ask him to repeat himself. Ohmygod! A comprehensible joke! A quite funny joke! Then, just as I was about to laugh out loud.
The Boy: “Mummy - what’s an udder?”

8 comments:

mountainear said...

Boys and boy jokes - are they not the best?

Frances said...

Gosh, that was some day, and some drive home, and ... you have got some beautiful boys!

Bet that they both got some hugs that evening.

xo

Iota said...

Boy jokes are great. Lovely story.

LITTLE BROWN DOG said...

Aaah, sweet!

xx

Anonymous said...

Lovely! You need to read Potty Mummy's post on a similar subject: http://potty-diaries.blogspot.com/2008/11/i-say-i-say-i-say.html

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

I love his joke and your punchline both!
When my son was about five he had carefully explained to him the joke about what lies on the sea bed and shivers (answer a nervous wreck) and claimed to understand it and laughed uproariously. Rather gave himself away next day at a party when he clamoured to tell the joke:
What lies on the sea bed and shivers? (It was going so well)
A banana.

Anonymous said...

What's brown and sticky? A stick. I think he'll like that one.

Pondside said...

Thanks Tattie, I'd almost forgotten boy humor. Don't those special moments nearly all occur when one is driving the car though?

Go on you know you want to...

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin