Tuesday 7 February 2012

Guests like fish go off after three days....

I was caught today muttering at the window and doing a little jig. I was watching my guests drive away and urging them on, while smiling and waving goodbye.
Off you go now.
Bye Bye!
Auf weidersein!
Au revoir!
That's it keep driving, keep on going...yes that's it right out of the gate...
Bugger off now...
Bye Bye!
Bye Bye now...
Bye!
My face ached from smiling so much, that drawn rictus smile as I waved until they were out of sight.
I did think about chasing them down the drive and watching them disappear down the road just to make sure they had really gone but thought that that might be going a little too far.
I mean they might decide to come back thinking that I could not bear to be parted from them.

Some guests are just needy and others are a breeze.
Some make you wonder why you ever invited them in the first place and others you wonder why you don't invite more often.
After four daya nd four nights these guests have left me drained emotionally and physically and I will now need to lay on my bed for at least a week to recover my equilibrium.
As my grandfather used to say: "Guests like fish go off after three days..."

8 comments:

Rob-bear said...

All guests bring joy. Some upon arrival. Others on departure.

I think you understand that pretty clearly.

Expat mum said...

Oh well, at least they're gone now. Hope you were strong.

Von said...

So glad that's over, wonderful feeling, celebrate!!

Cait O'Connor said...

This made me smile.

My neighbour says 'guests - it's lovely when they come and it's lovely when they go....'

Hope your guests don't read this post :-)

Irene said...

At least you felt the great joy of watching them leave. That's some consolation anyway. Let's hope that you've done your duty for a long while now. xox

janerowena said...

My inlaws are due to arrive this weekend - I am praying for heavier snow. It's still on our road over here a bit to the west of you, but not enough to deter them unfortunately. I love to see them for just one day.

Muddling Along said...

My Swedish sort of Grandmother used to say exactly the same - funny how you can do three days but more is just too much

Marcheline said...

Even people that I love A LOT, staying with my husband and me in our tiny, tiny cottage for a week is a huge stress. One bathroom, and we always give up our bed and sleep on the leaky air mattress in the side room, which KILLS my back by day two...

Yes, guests (no matter how dear) are so much more fondly thought of once they get back to their own beds! 8-)

Go on you know you want to...

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin