Friday 29 April 2011

The Reluctant Royalist


The Daily Telegraph: Kiss me Kate
I think I am turning into my Nan; I mean today I was welling up as I watched the Royal Wedding. I really felt as if I was going to cry, I was so moved and this is from me, the person who back in November when the engagement was announced between Kate Middleton and Prince William, could only think: “Well at least I’ll get a day off to do the garden.”
In 1981 I couldn’t have been less interested. At the age of 15 I thought it all a great big bore and I was furious that my riding holiday had been curtailed so that we could all watch the Royal Wedding on the box as a family.
I couldn’t think why everyone so excited about Prince Charles – he isn’t exactly good looking - or why they thought Lady Di was so perfect. He seemed horrendously old I couldn’t for the life of me reason why she would want to marry him. My Mum and Nan however, sat enraptured while I huffed and puffed and flumped about longing for the whole thing to be over so that I could watch some decent telly or else go down the caravan at New Quay and have some fun at the seaside. Anything had to be better than all this gushing flouncy stuff I was being forced to endure. The afternoon seemed never ending.
For my Nan it was the start of a love affair that endured to her death; she adored Princess Di who could never do any wrong. She read everything about her, watched TV programmes and would expound in great details all the wrongs done to that poor beautiful woman; for Nan was a romantic and she decided her loyalty lay with Diana, a saint who could do no wrong. An angel. How she would have loved today.
Nan didn’t have time for the Royals as such, I don’t think she ever would forgive the Queen Mother for being beastly to the Duchess of Windsor, in fact so partisan was she that I seriously think if she had ever met the QM she would have snubbed her in the way only the Welsh no how.
Today would have been meat and drink; and I can see her in my mind’s eye sitting in her green velvet chair, avidly drinking in the sights and sounds from the TV; commenting scathingly on the fashions and how some people really should know better and why on earth did the young wear so many shockingly ugly hats.
Then she would see the bride, she would have been in paroxysms of delight, gurgling with joy and exclaiming how beautiful she was and how elegant and saying look that’s how it should be done you can tell she has style and state and look how graceful. Today she would have taken ownership and started another love affair… and today I found myself understanding exactly why.
For today I was spellbound and I kept thinking of my own wedding and my own vows and I thought of all the hope resting on those young shoulders and I had such admiration and trepidation for their future.
A Royalist me, reluctantly admitted….

10 comments:

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

Your Nan would have been right .... that was a very elegant dress !
And I'd be happy if I never saw another fascinator as long as I live .

Tattieweasle said...

SmitoniousAndSonata - Stunning I think is the word and wasn't the Bishop of London's address wonderful! Oh heck I feel like I want to gush about how perfect the whole thing was...:)

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

You put it so well Tattie. I am not a monarchist (not a republican either, just don't care much) and have been feeling way too well informed about the whole event for a fortnight or so to the extent that I had given up reading papers or watching much tv. But I did watch the wedding and I was moved and I do very much wish them well.x

Von said...

Beautiful dress, however I'm a Republican and a very committed one, so although I view royal antics with some interest it's fairly academic.

Rob-bear said...

Here, across the pond, many of us have looked upon the event with some warmth and kindness. Kate (oh, all right; Lady Catherine) is marrying ten years older than Lady Diana. The Duchess of Cambridge has had time to sort out who she is, a reasonable experience not afforded to Lady Di.

Being a Monarchist and something of a romantic, I'm happy with this turn of events. Now, the heir to the throne can go back to flying his Search and Rescue helicopter, while his beloved wife . . . does whatever she plans to do.

Tattieweasle said...

elizabethm - I think iot is like any wedding when you remember your own vows or maybe it's just because you know they are starting out. There is so much hope adn you can't help but wish them well!
Von - it was a beautiful dress and I enjoyed the pomp, we do it rather well, even if it does seem rather archaic!
Rob Bear - I hoe they are able to get on with their lives and become proper working royals. I'd hate it if The Duchess of Cambridge was hounded as much as Princess Diana...

Spencer Park said...

I'm also a Republican but, as I had to watch part of the wedding with my mother, I was struck that they looked so much more in love then Charles and Di. That can only be a good thing!

Tattieweasle said...

Spencer Park - Yes they do seem to be in love. I liked it that when she joined him at the altar he told her she looked beautiful...

Michelle Trusttum said...

Tattie - I can just picture your Nan. Lovely... And I do agree about the 1981 nuptials - absolutely - I even disliked the dress!
But Catherine was perfect. She won me over, too. As did the entire ceremony - including the wonderful music selection. it was something, wasn't it? x

Tattieweasle said...

Muichelle - The music was wonderful and I just loved teh tree lined avenue...ah me a royalist through and through!

Go on you know you want to...

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin