Monday 11 April 2011

The Gods work in mysterious ways…


I have a lot of things to do and, like everyone else, not much time to do them. I travel at speed but that can be my undoing.
Today it cost me £80.
Luckily that was all.
It was a hectic morning sorting out stuff, the paraphernalia of life builders, painters, plumbers, children, dogs, visitors, piano practise and of course taking the boys to their crash course at the local swimming pool affectionately known as the “Sink or swim” programme. It works, trust me or rather the bods that came up with the idea.
Anyway life being what life is I realise that I am going to be late I am cruising through all the stuff I have to do to the extent that I am not actually thinking. I have passports tickets money as I like to say which in this case meant boys swim things, my blog book and my handbag. I am ready to rock and roll.
I get the boys in the car tout-de-suite, the CD is on and booming, the car revving and I am off in a flurry of gravel with minutes to spare.
Ten yards on I come to a grinding halt with the car nose in the air and I am not going anywhere – fast.
In my mad dash to get where I was meant to be going ten minutes ago I failed to notice that the HozeLock reel was out, the really really expensive one that weighs a ton but winds up the hose in a trice. I have driven straight over it and am now on top of it with both front wheels four inches off the ground. This being a front wheel drive means that I am stuck and I cannot even rock the car off it. God how I hate modern vehicles sometimes!
Luckily the builder, painters, plumbers and gardeners who are here on the final push to finish making my house a home were on hand to physically lift the poor old car off the Hozelock and I was safe to carry on my journey.
Safe in more ways than one. The shock of running over the hose was slightly more profound than I had anticipated. For up until that point I was buzzing, almost high on adrenalin and quite obviously not thinking let alone looking at all. What if it had been one of the dogs? What if it had been one of the builders? Or a child? What if I had gone out and hurt someone.
I was a very chastened driver as I drove sedately down the drive and yes my children were late to their swimming lesson but as they say better late than never….I think the Gods were watching over me.

PS. Was very impressed with Hozelock, I mean the reel did break but by 'eck it took some doing!

10 comments:

About Last Weekend said...

I know how you feel. When I'm rushed I'm always tempted to go that little bit faster and I have to tell myself its just swimming soccer whatever, doesn't matter that I'm late. As I've got older i'm getting more manic about being on time, not sure why...But here you have to go to traffic school all day for two Sat if you get a ticket and that is even worse than the fine.

Rob-bear said...

Oh, Tattie. So sorry for your "misadventure." Thankfully, nobody got hurt.
Time, yes. Doesn't seem like they're making any more of it. And worse, it seems that there are time thieves at work, nicking a bit out of each hour, day, week, and month. (I'm sure you understand, too, Jody.) Hey; if I'm retired, and still feel the press, I can only pity career mums with offspring at foot. Sigh.
Let's all take a couple of deep breaths, and then get on. IN a timely fashion.

Trish said...

Blimey! It's a wonder you didn't damage your undercarriage! What on earth will these workmen think of you, especially after you bellowed at one of them thinking he was your son (your last post made me chuckle too!)

Von said...

Lucky escape, chastening lesson! Hope you got time for 5 minutes and a quiet coffee.

diney said...

Flip - that sound both damaging to the car and very embarrassing too!! I know, we are all in such a rush but that sort of thing does give us all a little warning that cars are a dangerous weapon.

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

So it's just as well the builders seem to have moved in permanently , then .
Glad no one was hurt !

potterjotter said...

Do you think all those workmen are turning up just to see what happens next? Its a possiblity!

mrsnesbitt said...

Oh I know just how you feel - shakes you up doesn't it? I drive a pick-up and from time to time I forget about the size of the bit behind I don't see! The dents on the bumper are evidence!!!!

Spencer Park said...

As the perfect driver I am afraid that I cannot relate at all. However, I did have a "friend" who was caught speeding in Nottingham. My "friend" was offered the choice of either 3 points on his licence or, as an alternative, he could attend a driver awareness course. My "friend" decided to go with driver awareness course.

The course was due to start at 7.00pm and my "friend" only just made the course. As I, sorry, my "friend" walked into the classroom he made the mistake of coming out with the following comment,

"Phew, I didn't think I was going to get here in time. I really had to put my foot down to make it in time."

My "friend" explained that the instructor was not best pleased!

Bluestocking Mum said...

Crikey! That sounds so like my world. I rush around like it in my sleep too.
xx

Go on you know you want to...

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin