Tuesday 4 September 2012

Wedding Anniversaries: I am a bit of a bitch...

Happy Anniversary to Me!

I am a bit of a bitch…
It’s my thirteenth wedding anniversary and all day I have been waiting for my husband to acknowledge the fact.
He failed.
But I feel a bit of a bitch about it.
I knew he’d forget. He has form.
But in my defence I did remind him on Sunday that today was our anniversary and that I expected him to remember.
However, things don’t work out as you’d wish. I wanted a phone call from him saying “Happy Anniversary Darling. I love you more now than I did then.”
Oh and a bunch of flowers.
I did such a ‘girl thing’. You know the one where you play the hurt party, the victim. Look how hard done by I am he forgot our anniversary the most important day in our combined lives. (She falls dramatically onto the couch her arm hiding her face as she weeps).
I should have just called him this morning and wished him Happy Anniversary adding that I loved him more now than I did 13 years ago. But I didn’t and in so doing allowed our special day to become a cliche: The One Where He Forgot...
I’m still pissed off that he didn’t remember and the only thing that is making me feel a bit better about it is that I of course now hold the moral high ground – but it is pathetic to go to these lengths. Playing games with people is childish in the extreme.
But (she says stamping her foot) I feel bloody childish.
He hasn’t made it any better by calling me from his digs in London, where he spends the week from Sunday through Friday, to apologise saying he didn’t do it deliberately.
“No, that’s not going to make me feel better,” I snap. “If you did it deliberately at least it would mean that you had at least thought about it!”
“I’m not going to able to get out of this am I?”
“Too bloody right you are not.”
We talked some more about mundane things such as the fact that our bank balance was about to suffer a rather seismic shift downwards as I pay out fuel bills, car insurance and school fees, and that I am about to embark upon a systematic affront on the aforementioned school regarding the education, or lack thereof, of our eldest son. Sending your child to private school is a bit like confronting the NHS the louder you shout the better service you get.
Then the call had to end abruptly as his landlady had supper and a glass of wine waiting for him and he felt it would be rude to keep her waiting…
Just as well I’d already had a half bottle of champagne really – off to finish the other half – Happy Anniversary!

11 comments:

Jen Walshaw said...

Tough one. We agreed not to bother about Anniversaries, but I got the date engraved inside his wedding ring, so the forgetting thing never happened!

Tattieweasle said...

Jen - I did the same with the engraving but he kept forgetting to put the ring on!

Muddling Along said...

Yours sounds rather like ours... Except he came home for a supper I had made specially and spent the whole thing checking his blasted phone for an important email...

Tattieweasle said...

Muddling Along - Nooo they just cannot do that! There are times I feel like getting a great big hammer out when they do that at table or when you are trying to have a conversation with them!

Expat mum said...

These days in our house, we both forget. Last year my mother was the one to remind us. ;-)

Rob-bear said...

So sorry to hear about your "non-Annivesary" (so to speak). Don't know what to say other than that.

We had ours a few days ago. My wife had forgotten until I mentioned it. But ours was the 43rd and we'd had been (and were) quite busy. A hug and a kiss were the appropriate things. We'll do something to celebrate in a bit (when she is feeling better).

Blessings and Bear hugs.

Wally B said...

My wife always forgets. I guess she has more important things to think about.
I should have done the Champagne thingy.

Tattieweasle said...

Expat Mum - I really need to get to that place where I forget! Bet that's when he doesn't and he gets all huffy!!!
Rob Bear - It was fine really as I had had a lovely bottle of bubbly witrh my best friend so it wasn't as if I was all on my own!
And this afternoon I got a wonderful bouquet and an abject apology. It was so sincere and so sorry that it brought a lump to my throat. I am a very lucky wife indeed when all is said and done!

Tattieweasle said...

Wally B - crept in there while I wasn't looking. Always have a bottle on standby I don't drink much else alcohol-wise and it always makes me feel much better!

janerowena said...

I forgot last year! The previous year we both forgot. This year though, he remembered and I had been keeping quiet about it sort of thinking we wouldn't bother! The first 5 years I think I would have killed him if he had forgotten, but around the date of our anniversary is a really fraught time every year, so much happening at that time that it's not surprising.

mrsnesbitt said...

Our anniversary is the day after hubby's birthday - so he can't forget!

Go on you know you want to...

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin