Wednesday 7 October 2009

Yeti Spotting (Part Two): The Low down on the Skoda Yeti




How can I say this? On first impressions it’s ..erm…it’s...Oh heaven! This is a low down right? You want my honest opinion? Well it doesn’t look as good as it does in the pictures. But that’s my opinion. Don’t they always say beauty is in the eye of the beholder?
Like meeting famous people for the first time - aren’t they smaller in real life. The same goes for the Skoda Yeti. In those wonderful adverts it looks a heck of a lot taller, sort of Land Rover size but it’s not. In fact at 5’3” I felt pretty tall next door to it, which is great when it comes to being able to reach the tail gate, though they have one of those strap things for that which you can get really clever with and swing it shut all in one move. Definitely cool but I reckon you could get caught out if you slam the door down on your Dog's tail –sorry it’s the sort of thing I would do! I’ll amend that, not so clever if you caught the hem of your dress then tried to walk away ripping it and then exposing yourself to innocent passers by in the supermarket car park.
However, you’ve got to get my frame of reference with regard to the Yeti. I am currently having a high old time with the Silver Dream Machine a VW Golf Estate Bluemotion and still grieving for my beloved Dora, my Land Rover Discovery; she was quite simply perfect. The sort of perfect that even though she cost me more than I could ever really afford, I would regularly brush that annoying fact under the carpet along with all the other bills I didn’t wish to see.

Dora was stately, she was a Grand Duchess, she had presence – the Yeti is just very nice, and sort of friendly and cuddly and all the things that go with it. A sort of eager personality whose name you keep forgetting.
However once inside you pretty much revise your opinion. It still isn’t pretty but it’s big and dare I say it, it is more comfortable than my old lady ever was. I can say that now as Dora no longer exists so won’t have any hurt feelings, though I feel a tad guilty one really shouldn’t speak ill of the dead or even scrapped.
The Yeti seems vast thanks to the incredible amount of headroom. Clever design details make it seem as if there is oceans of space when in fact it’s not much bigger than a VW Golf.
You sit incredibly upright in the front seat and that coupled with the fact that the pillars are offset on the windscreen compared to the Golf and Land Rover Discovery (Series I) means you feel a bit vulnerable and disconcerted sitting there even though the visibility is fantastic.
The back seats seemed a bit small and it was really tricky to put the Graco child seats in without having to haul them to one side to find the seat belt plug.
Could you put three of them (children not car seats) in the back - that would be cosy. I mean Dora the Disco was 1496mm wide and it was close encounters on the back seat in her, so with the Yeti being 1437mm across the rear it would definitely be squash and a squeeze!
Couldn’t say much about the drive as I could only go at 18mph tops and it would not have been appreciated if I took it off road. Not that the lovely people at Skoda would have minded but I daresay the park keepers at Woburn Safari Park would have been less than amused and for that matter so would the animals.

I didn’t get to play with it as much as I wanted though I was shown some great things to do with the rear seats when I get my hands on a Yeti of my own to toy with for a week in December.
I am now planning a whole host of things to do and the goodly people at Skoda are even going to add a tow bar so I can really see if I have found a worthy successor to Dora.

Pic shows: Getting familiar with a Yeti in a yeti!

6 comments:

Linda said...

Hi - brilliant to read your reports, my friend Paul also went along with his mum and his boys and I have seen some great photos, I am going to upload his post for www.havealovelytime.com as soon as I can and will make sure I link to you - the photos of the Yeti made me laugh and sounds like a fun day...

Chris Stovell said...

Hats off to you, Tattie, as I'm really not very keen on driving - it's something I feel rather ashamed of, but I've never quite conquered it. Glad you all enjoyed your day out.

Tattieweasle said...

Linda - Thank You! I did see all these wonderful people on the day but I was just too shy to go up and say hello. I know I am silly as it was a brilliant day. I will just have to get braver!

Tattieweasle said...

ChrisH - Never feel ashamed about it. I am useless about driving at night!

Tim Atkinson said...

At least you saw them, Tattie! We were so late (A1 southbound closed, living in the middle of nowhere etc.) we met none of the other bloggers. Well we did: we met Ian, but he doesn't count, does he... ;-) Perhaps next time?

Tattieweasle said...

The Dotterel - I did see them and it was kinda cool too now I am playing the game of I saw them now I need to guess who they are! But will be on for next time...

Go on you know you want to...

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin