Tuesday 22 January 2013

Bringing Up Boys - Sending me stark staring bonkers...



School Bags

Dear God give me strength!
What IS it with boys?
BOTH of them came home today – the biggest prep day of the week – without the wherewithal to complete their homework. In spite of me asking not once, not twice but three times before we left the school had they got everything in order to do prep this evening.
“Oh yes mummy!” I was assured by one, followed by the other groaning “Yes Mum” and rolling his eyes as if I was some kind of dimwit.
And then, after our half-an-hour drive back home, they open up their book bags - or in the case of Bog Boy realise that they’ve actually left the book bag outside at school - and find that the one vital bit they need to complete their prep is still in their classroom.
I think they are doing it purposefully to send me stark staring bonkers. I can’t see any other benefit. Surely they don’t want me screeching like a banshee all the time. It can’t be normal, can it? To be always forgetting things and losing things?
I just don’t understand it.
How the heck am I going to get them to wake up? To come to life? To be alert? To get with the programme?
I scare myself silly thinking about their futures. Life is competitive and competition seems to be starting earlier and earlier these days.
In evolutionary terms, if it was left to my boys, we’d be extinct...

11 comments:

Jen Walshaw said...

Maxi is now nearly 8. So I have given him the responsibility for his actions when it comes to school work, bags, shoes etc. If he doesn't get it done then he has to explain to the teacher why. I was sick of repeating myself!

mrsnesbitt said...

Can you hear the sigh....???

Elizabeth said...

Ah, I think your boys will be just fine - they sound very nice and normal to me.

We need dreamers in this world. Look what the alpha males have done with the place and weep.

Tattieweasle said...

Jen - I try to do that but fail miserably as I am teh one who gets blamed by the teachers for not making sure they have everything with them!
mrsnesbitt - an exasperated one?!!!
Elizabeth - You are SO kind they are dreamers, heads in clouds chaps long may it last - just so long as no one is blaming me though!

Jude said...

If it's any consolation, mine are exactly the same....I too despair.

Rob-bear said...

Who knows what they'll be like in five years. Or ten.

Blessings an Bear hugs; hope those help.

janerowena said...

No consolation from me - mine is 17 and still does it!

I used to make him open his bag and check before he was allowed in the car when I collected him. Unfortunately my husband does not, otherwise i think we might have trained him up quite nicely. His memory for things like that is appalling. Teachers have been driven almost to the edge of reason. Worksheets are the work of the Devil, you will find.

Seriously - check their prep planners before you allow them in the car. They will get fed up with having to go back for stuff eventually.

Anonymous said...

I'm with Elizabeth on this- and yes, they sound delightfully normal. I'd be concerned if they were very goody two-shoes, or two sneakers as the case may be. Perfection after all, has its price.
...and yes, the teachers would know that's normal too, frustrating as it is.

Anonymous said...

I'm with Elizabeth on this- and yes, they sound delightfully normal. I'd be concerned if they were very goody two-shoes, or two sneakers as the case may be. Perfection after all, has its price.
...and yes, the teachers would know that's normal too, frustrating as it is.

Becca said...

It's normal to feel that. I also feel that way when my kids began schooling then later on I let them do their responsibility. Thank God they learn everything fast and they know what their responsibility.

Anonymous said...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00JSCLA9Q

Go on you know you want to...

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin