Monday 14 January 2013

BIG MOTHER IS WATCHING YOU!



From my office window...

From where I am sitting in my office I can look through the window out across to the bathroom.
I live in an L-shaped house so the view from my office encompasses not just the bathroom but the whole of the East Wing wherein my boys have their bedrooms.
My boys seem to be oblivious of this fact and I am not going to enlighten them for they think I have omnipotent powers.
I know when they have brushed their teeth and when they have been flinging wet flannels at each other without me even having to ‘see’ them. I can call up from wherever I am like some Big Brother out 1984 and tell them to stop whatever it is that they are doing, to do whatever they are doing properly and to remind them that mother always knows what is going on.

I can also take a good guess as to where they are in the house at any one time because even though they think they are moving with stealth and cunning, the sheer age of the house is against them, they are betrayed by the squeaking of the floorboards and squealing of old hinges and scraping of arthritic old door handles.
Their piping youthful voices are particularly easy to hear through old plaster walls and badly insulated floors.

It must be a scary thing to know that your mother just knows things about you even when she’s not actually there.
But all this omnipotence does have its drawbacks – for I can always hear them and I can never get a decent lie in!

9 comments:

Expat mum said...

We don't have creaky stairs but I still "know" what's going on. For instance, I have just stopped the Man CHild from sneaking upstairs with a giant PB&J sandwich - and i didn't even have to look up from my laptop!
Mwah ha ha.

mrsnesbitt said...

Love it! Yes pays dividend living in an older house. Our house is the same age as me! Poor buger. I know ALL about a 21 year old nubile woman!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tattieweasle said...

Expat Mum - I sometimes think that they dont realise we were kids once too - I certainly cant think of my parents as ever having been children...
mrsnesbitt - there are some things I DONT ever want to know about my boys! ;)

Very Bored in Catalunya said...

I was going to say the same thing as expat mum. Sixth sense I guess, or just knowing the lil' buggers a little too well.

Tattieweasle said...

Very bored in Catalunya - I think every mother has sixth sense!

Trish said...

I love this - the easier equivalent of having eyes in the back of your head, Tattie. How clever!

Rob-bear said...

I think you could be really sinister if you wanted to be. But you're good hearted, so I don't have to worry a bout that.

Blessings and Bear hugs.

Tattieweasle said...

Trish - still think i could do qwith those eyes!
Robbear - There are times when it is very temptins Mwah ha ha ha!

janerowena said...

My mother painted a very realistic picture of her own eyes and placed it above the bathroom sink when I was five. Underneath she had written 'I am watching you!'. I truly believed that she could see me for at least a year!

Go on you know you want to...

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin