Saturday 5 December 2009

Review: Falling For A Fly Called Mooch



There are children’s movies and then there are children’s movies, not all of them any good. But there again I’m an adult and what do I know? However, I have the opportunity to review DVD releases on a sporadic basis courtesy of Disney. Some releases that I have had the privilege to review have been great such as Bolt – a modern classic.
Others I’d rather not have to suffer a repeat performance; there again I’m not into Fairies and I’m afraid they aren’t my Boys thing either - though at one stage it was  touch and go with The Boy who announced proudly he wanted to grow up to be a Princess. He’s moved on from there and is taking inspiration from the likes of Spiderman, Merlin and Harry Potter.
And now, dare I say it, G-Force. G-Force isn’t anything to do with Action Man or some other Marvel comic book hero it’s the latest Disney Blue Ray/DVD and it’s all about Guinea Pigs. Oh was I relieved that we’d moved on from Fairies but Guinea Pigs just before Christmas – come on guys. Why do you do it to us parents?!!!
I was all set for something out of Alvin and the Chipmunks all cutesy and fluffy and enough to set my teeth on edge when we got to the opening sequence and I fell for a fly called Mooch.
I couldn’t say that I would ever think of flies as quite cool but this fly was and as for the cockroaches – inspired. Though I’m afraid if I saw them in my Kitchen or indeed anywhere else in the house I’d still kill them and ask questions later.
Back to the movie: it’s a kid’s movie with a bit of edge, some amazing if somewhat manic action sequences and of course cute flies. It’s live action along the lines of Babe – but boy has have special effects moved on since then - and is basically about the latest evolution of a covert government program to train animals to work in espionage – this time it’s an elite team of highly trained guinea pigs.
Armed with the latest high-tech spy equipment, these kick ass rodents discover that the fate of the world is in their paws but before they can do anything about it their programme is shut down. However, with the help of their human compatriots they escape determined to regroup and save the planet but first they need to escape from the local pet store.
It crossed my mind that I’d seen the movie before and I had, but not done with small rodents. But that’s cool, it’s comfortable and surprisingly entertaining on a wet Saturday afternoon you know what’s coming and you can knowingly smile at the nods to film classics that have gone before. It’s a tried and tested formula – a safe bet. And there’s nothing wrong with that. The Boys loved every minute and have now watched it three times. Luckily however, they don’t seem to be begging me for a Guinea Pig for Christmas and I won’t be prompting them either.

My rating for the film: 6 out of 10
Previous ratings, so you know where I’m coming from: Bolt 8 out of 10, Toy Story I and II: 9.5 out of 10, Shrek I and II: 9.5 out of 10

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow!

The interest taken by the Americans about the wild animals is very interesting.

This spy equipment is also used to protect the wild animals by using the spy wireless equipment from which we can trap the movements of the animal and we can provide the security for that.

Go on you know you want to...

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin