Monday 9 March 2015

The Wickedest Whippet returns: the case of the wandering walnuts and other bits of thievery.

The Wickedest Whippet - Butter wouldn't melt...
Life has been uncomfortable of late - literally.
I seem to have a walnut problem - in that walnut shells are to be found all over the house. Squirrelled away in corners, under cushions, on chairs, under chairs and sometimes even blatantly on the carpets; basically wherever I go barefoot I usually land up hopping about in absolute agony.
It's worse than Lego - believe me!
And it's getting downright dangerous.
I love walnuts, so we have a lot of them in the house - especially at Christmastime. I pile them in a big round basket available to anyone in passing. I say anyone, I actually need to be specific here.
Anyone that is HUMAN.
Check out the walnut detritus!
I am not fond of anything other than humans eating walnuts - I don't like the idea of mice, rats or even squirrels having free rein inside my home; so you can imagine my consternation when I started to find the shells all over the place.
It started fairly innocuously, the odd shell here, the bit of husk there; so I moved the basket on top of the display cabinet by the stairs to be out of reach of small human hands - suspecting that the prime culprits were the boys.
But the shells kept appearing and then it started to get worse. I'd clear  it all up and then the next day there would be even more shells all over the place.
I got the rat man in...
But.
There were no rats.
I put mice traps down (and only managed to catch one in the drinks cupboard - but that's another story).
I double checked all the windows to see it it were squirrels coming int o the house, I religiously patrolled the outside of the house for rat activity and spent hours just listening at the dead of night just in case I could hear the fiends.
I even began to worry if it were me - eating walnuts in my sleep.
So I decided to lay a trap using my old camera.
And this is what I found.....








The Wickedest Whippet returns...!!!

7 comments:

Annie Cholewa said...

Cries of 'Bravo' and similar approving noises from the five whippets here.

Nice to see you back.

Tattieweasle said...

Annie - It was rather Bravo of her and I was rather proud of her ingenuity - she's not known as the wickedest whippet for nothing! It's good to be back.

Little Red Hen said...

It's a wonder she didn't get her head stuck. .

Tattieweasle said...

Little Red Hen - the thought did strike! Her son, Jet, had no such luck getting his head through luckily he was wise enough not to push his luck!

Expat mum said...

Ingenious!

Tattieweasle said...

Expat Mum - She was ever thus!

Mobile App Developers said...

Hey keep posting such good and meaningful articles.

Go on you know you want to...

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin